Friday, February 22, 2008

Drew's Birth Story

Andrew James 11/08/01

The day our little Drewsku was born was a fun snow blanketed Colorado morning. We had moved to Denver when Elle was almost 2. We lived in Englewood 10 minutes from Denver at the Strattford Station apartments. Driving our little Black Jeep Cherokee. I was nervous to have Drew away from "home". My Doctor had a weird name too LOL :) I woke up that night with a SPLASH! water all on the side of the bed, felt like someone threw a water balloon at us. I quickly turned the light on and woke Rob up and oh my, my water had broke! We had gone that night before to dinner and a movie with some friends, Becky and Greg Diehl. We laughed so hard with them all night, joking that I was going to go into labor right then for laughing so much. Then low and behold my water broke after going to sleep about 2 Am. I waited a little bit and around 3 I called my doctor and he said to get to the hospital. I was excited no contractions, and I was ready to have this baby! Becky and Greg came over to stay with sleeping Elle, Rob made me french toast and I took a long hot shower and we left about 4 to Rose Hospital. The snow had just fallen and it was beautiful! The snow sparkled and was so quiet! After getting admitted, we began the waiting game. Rob was video taping and I was trying to get some sleep, I wanted to try to feel a couple of contractions before my epidural(why? I am crazy!) so they gave me a drug to start them. After awhile they were getting stronger and harder, I asked for the epi and of course had to wait. It was a piece of cake compared to waiting 2 hrs with Elle's doc.

Finally, I was in heaven with my epidural and comfort, and then it was time to push like 5 that evening. The nurses came in and asked if a student nurse could stand in and watch! She was standing right there! What could I say so sure come on in!!! After the trauma at the hospital with Elle and my doctor there, I had typed up a request of how exactly I wanted to have this baby! I wish I would have kept it so funny! Now this student comes in to gawk at me!

The Doctor said Rob could catch Drew, he wasn't sure about that but was getting the scrubs on. I remember them being so worried about keeping everything so sterile! I wanted to hold my knees and they wouldn't let me touch the blue sterile paper!!! I HAD HEARTBURN SO BAD. I asked if I could chew on a papaya pill, the said sure and Rob got me one. A minute later I had this funny feeling in my gut--no not Drew, I turned to the intern student and said oh no and puked all over her!!!! Whoops, sorry that's what ya get the real deal!

Then Drew was ready to come out, The weirdo Doc was saying um would you mind if I took over instead of your husband?? Well of course not why? I see the cord and it's wrapped around his neck! They had to use careful procedures to pull drew out and when he was out he was all blue!! I was panicked! He didn't cry! The nurses were so positive and I prayed over and over that this wasn't like some bad drama show. They wrapped Drew up let me hold him and kiss him and Rob was crying, I held Drew and prayed so hard that he would cry, he did a little and then the nurses said they would have to rush him to ICU! Rob left with them and I was left alone with the weirdo doc stitching me up, when he has done I was left all alone. I felt terrible and sooooo alone and scared. I called my Mom and Dad who weren't planning on coming til Rob had to go back to work a week later. I hated those 20 minutes alone and that phone call, everyone assured me Drew would be fine but I wasn't sure. Rob finally came back and said Drew had pinked up and was breathing good.
Drews labor was easy but man I would not want that to ever happen again! Him not breathing was awful! After all the chaous we called Becky and Greg and they brought Elle down to see her new baby brother "be jue" she would say! On the way to the hospital Elle was singing a song she made up "Ooodalala du du baby drew is sleeping" I felt great after having Drew. I wanted to go in and see him bathed. I could actually walk! The nurses in that hospital all talked a different language and it was so frustrating. I remember the lactation nurse coming in with a student and just standing there waiting for me to nurse Drew! I was so mad and wanted to be in private I hadn't even had five minutes alone with my new baby and Rob! Then the nursery nurse came in demanding that Drew be bathed! I said I wanted to wait because his sister was coming to see him. They threw a fit at that and said if he wasn't bathed his skin could actually burn!~! not true! I wrote a complaint in about that nurse :) So Elle came and I got up and picked her up and swung her around. My Doctor saw me and said I shouldn't be lifting any weight for awhile! I couldn't believe how great I felt! Drew was the best baby, he seemed like he was always a little congested though, that had us worried. Now he has asthma hmmmmm. Elle loved playing with him and trying to feed him her plastic play food. He had tons of black hair, and at about 5-6 months after James and Katies wedding we buzzed him and he was all blonde! SO cute! He had and still has the most contagious laugh there ever was! Even when he was little 4 months he would just laugh the deep belly laughs! Love it! Great kid!

No comments: